The degree of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) may be awarded by the University in recognition of the successful completion of a course of further study and research, the results of which are judged to constitute a contribution to learning and to give evidence of systematic study and of ability to relate the results of such study to the general body of knowledge in the subject.
There is a higher Degrees Committee (referred to in these Rules as “the Committee”) appointed by the Academic Board which shall administer the Rules for the degree of MPhil.
An application for admission to candidature for the degree of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) shall have either:
i) a Merit degree or Postgraduate Diploma from a tertiary institution approved by the Postgraduate Committee
ii) a Bachelor degree of Honors standard from a tertiary institution approved by the Postgraduate Committee.
iii) Relevant first degree with an industry experience of more than two years.
The Committee may, in exceptional circumstances, accept as a candidate for the degree of MPhil an applicant who does not have a Postgraduate Diploma or a Bachelor’s degree of Honours standard but who has satisfied the Committee of his or her fitness to undertake advanced work. All such applicants shall in the first place be provisionally admitted to candidature for a period to be determined by the Committee. All such cases shall be reported to the Academic Board.
An applicant for admission to candidature for the degree of MPhil shall be approved by the Committee only on the recommendation of the Head of Department in which the candidate proposes to register (referred to in these Rules as the “Head of Department”); the Head of Department shall be required to certify that adequate supervision and facilities are available. Where part of the research is to be carried out in a department other than that in which the candidate proposes to register, the Head of the other Department(s) shall be required to certify that adequate facilities and where necessary supervision is available. For the purpose of these Rules other recognized academic units in the University, which contain one or more members of academic staff as determined by the Council, shall be regarded as departments.
No applicant who is already a candidate for a degree at another institution may be admitted into candidature.Professors and Associate Professors of this University may be admitted into candidature for the degree of MPhil with the agreement of the Vice-Chancellor who shall act as Principal Supervisor.At the time of admission, the Committee shall determine on the recommendation of the
Head of Department, the field of further study and research of the candidate.
(1) A candidate shall register for the degree of MPhil with the Registrar as soon as possible following the acceptance of the application by the Committee.
(2) A candidate shall re-register annually throughout the period of candidature not later than the end of the fourth week of the first semester in each year of the candidature.
(3) A candidate shall be registered in one of the departments of the University.
(4) A candidate may not enroll for any other degree, diploma or certificate of this University or of any other institution during the period of candidature.
COURSE OF FURTHER STUDY AND RESEARCH
(1) After admission to candidature, a candidate shall follow a course of further study and research for a prescribed period in the field approved by the Committee.
(2) A candidate shall, not later than three months after admission to candidature, submit for approval by the Committee a plan of his or her proposed further study and research.
(3) The first year of candidature shall be probationary.
At the time of admission to candidature, the Committees shall appoint a full-time member of the academic staff as a Principal Supervisor for the candidate.The duties of the Principal Supervisor shall be to instruct and advise the candidate on the pursuit of his or her course of further study and research, to report to the Committee on the candidate’s progress and to recommend to the Committee the appointment of appropriate examiners.
For any information regarding PG program, email to: email@example.com
Faxed application will not be accepted. A non-refundable application processing fee of K220 be
deposited into: Unitech Trust Funds A/C: 0011188172, ANZ LAE.
Please send in duly completed applications along with copies of certificates, transcripts, and other necessary documents by 15th July , 2017
to the following address or email below:
Mr. Gabriel Paul
PNG University of Technology
Private Mail Bag, Lae 411, M.P.
Phone: 473 4280/4474 Fax: 475 7667
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com