The Uniforce was established by the approval of the University Council and is gazetted under the University of Technology Act, which has a total of about 120 men, which includes the administration team. The Team leader is best called the Chief Security Officer, the position that is equivalent to Senior Assistant Registrar. The security operation is guided by the University main VISION, MISSION statements and the VALUES, however the unit also has its own vision, mission and values that are guided by the work we do. The security has a 24/7 operation within the campus mending all exits, residential areas, student lodges, admin and academic departments with the well trained and experience security officers. Uniforce also provide VIP escort, airport transfers and any other duties as and when required by the University management team. Security service is a support unit, which falls directly under Pro Vice Chancellor Administration, Vice Chancellor and the Senior Executive Management Team (SEMT). University also housed 5 national Police officers, within the campus assisting the security team in the maintenance of law and order within the campus and surrounding communities.
Uniforce has security officers in other sister colleges which includes;
- Main Taraka Campus have a total of 80 operational men,
- Bulolo University College (BUC) has 16 operational men
- Timber & Forestry Training College (TFTC) has a total of 20 operational men
- Lae School of Nursing – yet to be established, currently under private arrangement
By actively working together to provide a safe and secure environment for the University community and establishing a professional and trusting relationship with those that we serve. To be the University preferred security team that is disciplined, efficient, adaptive and focused.
Is to foster feelings of safety and personal comfort in which to learn, live, work and grow. We achieved our mission by collaborating with the faculty, staff and students of unitech and by partnering with other groups and organizations in the community to provide services in a professional and courteous manner. We will ensure that all who we serve are treated with dignity and respect.
We aspire to be trusted by all, maintain integrity, gain respect, and be responsible and accountable in discharging of our duties.
We aspire to meet the highest standards of work with positive mind and attitudes, assume responsibility, and be accountable for our behaviours, decisions and actions.
We will achieve success through cooperation, partnership, and teamwork.
We encourage involvement at all levels and provide information through clear and open communication with all stakeholders. we encourage feedback and active participation in problem solving and resolution.
We will take full responsibility for our actions and be accountable for the services that we provide to ensure the safety and security of faculty, staff and students.
We believe that proper training is integral to a well-functioning professional organization. Learning and advancing competency are essential to our growth as individuals and as an organization
Must confront and embrace change, and actively seek new and better ways to fulfil our mission.
Believe in using our best judgment in our work and in making decisions for the interest of all stakeholders o this university.
Believe in providing quality services in a timely and professional manner.We endeavour to provide services in a fair, friendly and respectful manner, sincerely caring for the welfare of people.
Priorities on the Campus
- Enhance compliance and conforming to the University rules and regulations and upholding the rule of law
- Develop a safe/secure feeling on campus.
- Conduct regular faculty meetings with security and University administration
- Implement training program for security and staff.
- Update and draw up 24/7 response/security action and operational plans, operating procedure for the University as when required.
- Establishment of a well functioned CCTV system for the campus
- Upgrade fire and safety systems within the campus
- Improve access control for all exits and improve security fencing within the campus
- Increase response timing for call out and emergency responses
- Conduct campus security audits
- Have a conclusive Community Engagement program for interaction with the local communities campus residents
Requirement for University Security Personnel
- Recognition of the contributions and value of each employee with employee of the month and year awards.
- Increase work standards and competencies through training& development, guidance, coaching and discipline.
- Increase employee technical skills and knowledge with on the job training and development.
- Improve employee recruitment and hiring procedures
- Improve employee retention.
- Develop management and supervisory skills.
- Develop employee incentive, recognition and awards programs
SECURITY OVER VIEW
- Best known as the UNIFORCE
- Security main role is to ensure safety & security of all students, staff and Uni Assets
- Security also ensures the Unitech VALUES, VISION and its MISSION statement is achieved,
- Security is the ears and eyes of the SEMT through the Vice Chancellor
- Total man of 90 including admin staff
- Uni also has the external Police based at the campus and operating from the main security office.
- Police will arrest any one who is found be breaching any University rules
- Located along the Sarawaged Drive / opposite the Christian Centre.
- UNITECH has an obligation to look after your safety and well being whilst being a student or staff on campus.
- The students have the same responsibility of looking after yourself and your valuables, whilst at the campus and out of campus.
- Rooms must be securely locked before leaving your rooms.
- Valuables must be securely locked away (money, laptops, mobile phones & others)
- Refrain from going out into the nearby settlements for drinking beer or unnecessary visitation.
- Crime rate in Lae in high, you may easily get injured or robbed
- Seek medical assistance immediately and refrain from engaging yourself in any anti –social behaviour.
- Report to security office immediately if you have a problem.
- Keep yourself and your living quarters clean at all times
- Seek medical assistance immediately if you are sick
ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY
- PNGUoT is bounded by the policy on Zero Tolerance
- Alcohol, Drug or any illicit items are strictly prohibited within or any way with the premises of the 'Unitech campus area.
- Any one found to be in possession of these items will be booked and referred to USDC for disciplining
- NO ALCOHOL is allowed beyond the main mate
- Penalty / ies related to alcohol or drug is either
- Straight termination
- 3 years suspension
- Report ALL incidents / accidents / problems to the security office ASAP
- Seek for Security assistance if you are in trouble or in need. Do not hesitate to ask or make a call
- Always keeps to University rules at ALL times
- Non compliance to 'Unitech rules’ will find yourself in trouble.
- Respect is required by everyone to students, staff and dependants
- Main Security Hotline – 4734444 (4444)
- Chief Security Officer – 4734215 (4215)
- A / Chief Security Officer - 4734282 (4282)
- Admin Office – 4734888 (4888)
- Seek help from any security personnel around the campus.
- Ambulance do have security two way radio for assistance