On completion of this subject the student should be able to:
1. Sketch the aliphatic and aromatic compounds;
2. Describe the properties of aliphatic and aromatic compounds;
3. Explain the types of organic reactions in the lab;
4. Apply the rules for the formation of compounds through mechanism;
5. Explain nature of electronic effects associated with reactants and reagents.
Aliphatic and aromatic hetero cyclic compounds, preparation, and properties of heterocyclic compounds; Reaction mechanism; Types of reaction intermediates and their properties; Electronic effects in organic compounds; Types of organic reactions: addition reactions, substitution reactions, elimination reactions; Resonance and delocalisation; Aromaticity: Hückel’s rule.
Brown, W. H., Poon, T., Introduction to organic chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, USA, 2004.
Solomons, T. W. G., Fryhle, C. B., Organic chemistry, John Wiley, Hoboken, USA, 2011.
Continuous assessment 40%
Written examination 60% (1×2 hrs.)
Phone: +675 473 4999
Fax: +675 475 7776