On completion of this subject the student should be able to:
1. Describe the building blocks of biological system;
2. Describe the structure and properties of lipids;
3. Explain the types of stereochemically active organic compounds;
4. Explain the rules applicable for the structural isomers and mirror image isomers;
5. Explain various configurations.
LO6. Ability to explain the structure of polymers.
Structure and chemistry of triglycerides, phospholipids, fatty acids, amino acids, mono and polysaccharides, chemistry of fats and oils, structural isomerism, optical isomerism, polymer chemistry, chain growth polymers and step growth polymers, plastics and resins.
Brown, W. H., Poon, T., Introduction to organic chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, USA, 2004.
Solomons, T. W. G., Fryhle, C. B., Organic chemistry, John Wiley, Hoboken, USA, 2011.
Continuous assessment 40%
Written examination 60% (1×2 hrs.)
Phone: +675 473 4999
Fax: +675 475 7776