On completion of this subject the student should be able to:
1. Correlate the theoretical learning and the practical exposure in industries;
2. Describe the products, structure and role of an organization in a chemistry-related industry;
3. Demonstrate skills and grasping capacity in industries;
4. Appreciate and describe the new techniques and procedures followed by relevant industries;
5. Understand and explain simple and common laboratory procedures for a chemical analysis;
6. List common safety protocols in an industrial environment.
Industrial training provides golden opportunities for the upcoming and aspiring applied chemists so that they are exposed to work culture and real time applications.
Students will undertake 10 weeks of work experience in a suitable establishment, which will be chosen so that both breadth and depth of experience are offered. Students will be treated as trainee employees in that they will receive training and supervision from their hosts and will be expected to undertake responsible tasks in the latter stages of their placement.
Students will submit a written review of the structure and activities of their host establishment, keep a diary of their activities and submit a written report on their experiences. Students undergoing industrial training in and around Lae should submit the industrial training report in prescribed format, one week after the completion of training; those outside Lae should submit the report two weeks after the completion of training.
Students will be supervised by a nominated employee of the host establishment who will assess their performance. They will be visited by a member of staff of the UNITECH who will assure himself/herself of their well-being and progress and who will assess their written reports.
Continuous assessment 100%
Phone: +675 473 4999
Fax: +675 475 7776