1. THE UNION BOARD
This Board will be created, controlled and modified by the Council of the University.
2. RESPONSIBILITIES FO THE BOARD
In accordance with the aims of the statutes concerned, the Board will be responsible for the provision of social, cultural and recreational facilities for the students, graduates and staff of the University.
3. POWERS OF THE BOARD
The Board shall, subject to the statutes and regulations, have general superintendence of the affairs and concerns of the Union and such powers and duties as are set out in the Statutes and the Constitution.
- the acquisition, disposal, renting and letting of assets;
- participation in commercial activities;
- the allocation of financial grant to the SRC;
- on behalf of the Council, approval of the Constitutions of Clubs and Societies and such other bodies as are designated by the Council.
- The Board will exercise the above powers in pursuance of its responsibilities and in accordance with the resolutions passed by the Board.
4. POWERS OF THE MEMBERS OF THE UNION BOARD
- The members of this Board will be expected to attend the meetings of the Union Board and exercise their responsibilities in such deliberative and decision making meetings.
- No amendment to the provisions of 4(a) will be allowed without the prior approval on the majority of the members of the Board.
5. DUTIES OF THE MEMBERS OF THE UNION BOARD
The members of this Board will be expected to attend the meetings of the Union Board and exercise their responsibilities in such deliberative and decision making meetings.
6. MEMBERSHIP OF THE UNION BOARD
The Union Board shall be made up of the following members:
- the Chairman, to be nominated by Council;
- the SRC President, or in his or her absence, his or her nominee;
- the Financial Accountant;
- a member of staff nominated by the Vice Chancellor
- a Union member nominated by the SRC.
7. MEETINGS OF THE UNION BOARD
- The Union Board will meet as often as is necessary to carry out its duties
- A quorum shall consist of three members
- In the absence of the Chairman an alternative chairman shall be elected by and from those present
- A minimum of seven days written notice shall be given of any meeting.
8. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE UNION MEMBERSHIP
- An Annual General Meeting open to all financial members of the Union shall be held in the First Semester of each year.
- Notice of the AGM shall be given in The Reporter at least two weeks in advance of the meeting inviting members to place items on the agenda.
- The AGM shall be presided over by the Chairman of the Union Board.
9. SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING OF UNION MEMBERSHIP
A special general meeting may be called either by:
- the Union Board
- not less than twenty financial members of the Union who shall present a petition to the Chairman detailing the issues which they would like discussed a t the special general meeting.
Special general meetings are open to all financial members and the same period of notice is required as for an AGM.
10. VOTES OF NO CONFIDENCE IN THE UNION BOARD
Should the general membership at a Special or Annual General Meeting pass a vote of no confidence in the board over a specific issue, this issue would then be the subject of a ballot for all members of the Union. If at least 50% of the members vote and the majority of those voting vote against the Board, then Council shall determine the matter at its next meeting. Council‟s decision shall be final. Members of the Board may not be removed from their positions except by the person, group or committee who nominated them.
This Constitution may only be amended by the Council of the University.